Friday, October 28, 2016

A Mad Tea-Party

Dear Reader,

I worked a lot on a few different designs lately. But I owe you one more design of my children's literature collection, before I show you the new (some of them inspired by my Baltic trip...shhh!) designs.
So here are my crazy, funny and a bit weird contributions to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol.


For me, thinking of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is thinking of the Mad Tea-Party with the Mad Hatter, the March Hare and the Dormouse. I LOVE this chapter of the book and it is definitely one of my most beloved pieces of literature. The fabulous nonsense of the conversation, all the riddles and stories Alice is told and the hilarious characters in this scene are just GREAT. And I always imagined the table full of cups and teapots as a wonderful explosion of colours and patterns.
I wanted to design something, that is really funny, colourful and practical as well, so I designed two cozies, one for a teapot and another one for a French Press (coffeepot).
I don't know, if I ever mentioned my big love for Icelandic wool on this blog (I didn't, did I?), but it was instantly clear to me, that I had to use Istex Alafoss Lopi, one of my all time favourite yarns. It is an incredibly warming, water-repellent, fluffy yarn and is available in a wonderful colour palette. Yes, I know, some say it is very scratchy, but that doesn't matter to me and doesn't for a tea or coffee cozy either.
So I knit a tea cozy in a really - for me - unusual colour combination (looks a bit french, doesn't it?).



When I look at it, I think of the craziest coloured english cakes I could imagine. ;-)

And here is the French Press cozy in a more-like-me colour combination.



Don't take a too close look at my French Press. It looks a bit dusty on the picture... ;-)

So these are my last designs of the children's books collection, two cozies with a lot of nupps, seed stitch, garter stitch and a top loop for hanging the thingy up in the kitchen while not using it. 6mm/US10 needles and a (maybe alafoss? ;-) ) bulky weight yarn in three colours promise a super quick and entertaining knit. Want to make one yourself? HERE you are!

Happy knitting!
Love,
Nena

P.S.: In the background of the pictures you can see my collection of Alice editions. Yes, I do love these books....

No comments:

Post a Comment